- 1984-2012, Scientist and Research Staff Member, IBM
- 1984, Research Associate, Electrical and Computer Engineering Department, Yale University
- 1982-1984, Research Associate, Information Systems Laboratory, Stanford University
- 1982, PhD., Control Theory, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
- 1978, Diploma of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, Lausanne (EPFL)
- March 2015-present: Professor, Istanbul Bilgi University, Head of Dept., Dept. of Computer Engineering
- June 2013-February 2015: Professor, Istanbul Bilgi University, Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Sept. 2012-March 2013: Associate Professor, Istanbul Bilgi University, Dept. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering
- Digital Communications
- Information Theory and Coding Theory
- Signal Processing
- Data Storage Systems and Networks
- Network Access Technologies
- Evolution Theory
Selected Work, Publications, and Patents
- R. D. Cideciyan, R. Hutchins, T. Mittelholzer, and S. Ölçer, “Partial Reverse Concatenation for Data Storage,” Invited Paper, AsiaPacific Signal and Information Processing Association (APSIPA) Conf., Angkor Wat, Cambodia, Dec. 9-12, 2014.
R. D. Cideciyan, R. A. Hutchins, T. Mittelholzer and S. Ölçer, “Combined Soft Detection/Soft Decoding in Tape Drive Storage Channels,” US Patent US 8,854,759 B2, Oct. 7, 2014.
K. T. Blinick, R. A. Hutchins, T. Mittelholzer and S. Ölçer, “Adaptive Soft-Output Detector for Magnetic Tape Read Channels,” US Patent US 8,797,670 B2, Aug. 5, 2014.
K. T. Blinick, E. Eleftheriou, R. A. Hutchins and S. Ölçer, “Data-Dependent Noise-Predictive Maximum Likelihood Detection (DD-NPML) for Magnetic Recording,” US Patent US 8,670,199 B2, Mar. 11, 2014.
E. Christensen, E. Gale, R. Hutchins and S. Ölçer, “Technique for fixing tap coefficients in a programmable finite-impulse-response equalizer,” US Patent US 8,605,380 B1, Dec. 10, 2013.
E. Eleftheriou, R. Hutchins, and S. Ölçer, “Data dependent NPML detection and systems thereof,” US Patent US 8,443,273 B2, May 14, 2013.
S. Ölçer and R. Hutchins, “NPML Detection Employing IIR Noise-Prediction with Application to Magnetic Tape Storage,” proc. IEEE Global Communications Conference, Globecom 2011, SAC04, Dec. 5-9, 2011, Houston, TX.
S. Ölçer, et al. “29.5 Gb/in2 Recording Areal Density on Barium Ferrite Tape,”IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, 47(1) (January 2011).
T. Harasawa, R. Suzuki, O. Shimizu, S. Ölçer, E. Eleftheriou, “Barium Ferrite Particulate Media for High-Recording-Density Tape Storage Systems,” IEEE Trans. Magnetics, 46(6) (June 2010) 1894-1897.
S. Ölçer, E. Eleftheriou, and R. H. Hutchins, “Adaptive Noise-Predictive Maximum-Likelihood (NPML) Detection for Magnetic Tape Storage Systems,” IBM Journal of Research and Development, Vol. 54, No. 2, March-April, 2010.
S. Ölçer, A. Kavcic, B. Vasic, B. Wilson, L. Xu, “Guest Editorial Data Communication Techniques for Storage Channels and Neworks,” IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 28(2), pp. 129-134, Feb. 2010.